University of Warwick Doctoral Study on Chinese Academics – Recruiting Participants Now:
- Are you a Chinese citizen?
- Did you obtain your doctorate abroad, from a university outside of China?
- Are you now working as an academic in China, including supervising doctoral students?
If you meet these criteria, I would be grateful if you would consider participating in my study. See further information below.
About the researcher
I am Lu Bing, a doctoral researcher from Education Studies at Warwick, supervised by Dr Emily Henderson and Dr Justine Mercer. Now I am recruiting Chinese academic participants for my doctoral project, focusing on the supervision practices of academics who did their own doctorate abroad.
What does participating in the study involve?
Participation involves approximately 3 hours of your time spaced over approximately 1 month (can be shorter). You can participate in the research via online communication any time from now, or face-to-face (October–January 2020, depending on coronavirus travel restrictions). Participation occurs in three parts:
- A short conversation with me (by email/wechat/skype/phone/face-to-face if possible) in which you will learn about the project and be asked to complete the consent form. An interview (audio-recorded) about your past and present experiences of your own doctorate and your academic role now.
- For this study you will be requested to audio record ONE supervision meeting with one (or a group of) your doctoral students (with the permission of the student/s). You will then be kindly requested to share the recording with me.
- You will then be requested to participate in a second interview (also by email/wechat/Skype/phone/face-to-face if possible; audio-recorded) in which we will discuss the supervision session you recorded.
I understand working as a doctoral supervisor means a lot of responsibility, deadlines, and a busy schedule. This research aims to hear your story and your perspective on higher education based on your experiences as a previous international doctoral student and a current domestic doctoral supervisor. I will appreciate your consideration of participating in this research project!
If you are interested in participating, or if you have further questions, please contact Lu Bing (firstname.lastname@example.org).